Suspect in custody after nighttime shooting leaves 3 dead

0 9


A suspect was taken into custody Tuesday in connection with a nighttime shooting that left three dead in Washington state, Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said in a Facebook video.

Murray said officers were responding to a call from a relative of the alleged gunman who said they could find him behind some warehouses.

Gunshots were heard when police arrived and a man was injured, but no officers fired at the suspect and no officers were injured, according to Murray, who said more information was forthcoming. released later Tuesday.

Police previously identified the “alleged murder suspect” as Jarid Haddock, 21, a resident of Yakima County, according to a Facebook post.

Road closures in the area Tuesday morning were “linked to early morning homicides,” a police spokesman said.

SWAT responded and authorities had drones hovering over the area.

Tabitha Johnson, an employee of a nearby business, told CNN the area was closed off and police surrounded a home near the intersection of University Parkway and West Birchfield Road. Johnson said authorities were there as early as 9 a.m. local time.

The area cordoned off by police is about two miles east of the shooting site earlier this morning.

Murray told CNN Tuesday that the suspect entered the ARCO/ampm gas station and “tried to enter the lobby,” only to find the doors locked.

“He then walked across the street to Circle K,” Murray said. “When he walks into the store, he pulls out his gun and there are two people getting food and he shoots them.” Both people died, Murray said.

The suspect then left the store and shot another person, who also died.

Murray said the suspect walked back across the street to the ARCO/ampm gas station, fired into a car and drove off.

Police have not said who the car belongs to, but suspect it to be the suspect.

Justin Bumbalogh, who worked at Elite Towing and Recovery, said he was half asleep when he heard gunshots. According to police, the shooting happened around 3:30 a.m. local time.

Bumbalogh said he heard about nine shots and remembered a clear gap between the two series of shots.

Police responded shortly after the shots were fired, he said.

“It seems like a random situation,” Murray said. “There was no obvious conflict between the parties – the man just walked in and started shooting.”

FBI Seattle Field Office Steve Bernd told CNN they are aware of the incident and are in contact with the Yakima Police Department in case they seek help.

Not all news on the site expresses the site’s point of view, but we automatically transmit and translate this news through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.