Accused El Paso Walmart shooter intends to plead guilty to federal charges, court documents show
The man accused of killing 23 people and wounding nearly two dozen others in the 2019 mass shooting at a Texas Walmart in 2019 plans to plead guilty to federal charges, court documents show.
Days after the US government said it would not seek the death penalty, Patrick Crusius’s lawyers filed a rescheduling motion, indicating that he would amend his previous acquittal.
“The defendant informs the court that he intends to plead guilty to the pending charges,” the motion says, and court documents show that the motion was granted.
Crusius, who is due to appear in court on February 8, has been charged with 90 federal counts, including hate crime and using a firearm to commit murder. The shooting, which took place in El Paso on August 3, 2019, marked one of the deadliest attacks on Latinos in modern US history.
Crusius previously pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in the capital. The district attorney’s office filed a notice in that case that they would seek the death penalty.
Not all news on the site reflects the site’s point of view, but we automatically transmit and translate this news through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.