When and how to water a phalaenopsis?
Watering the phalaenopsis : how and with what quality of water should it be watered to remain beautiful? Here are some simple and precise gestures that will allow this orchid to continue to bloom for a long time, then to grow and bloom again.
We are always happy to receive magnificent phalaenopsis in the flower. These beautiful orchids have become, through selection, robust and generous plants, whose cultivation is much easier than that of the original species, and is now accessible to everyone. But if the phalaenopsis has become more democratic, its maintenance and development, blow again, it is necessary to take an interest in its needs and thus avoid some traps, especially when watering with the use of water that is not appropriate. .
When you have water the Phalaenopsis ?
The roots of Phalaenopsisair or in the pot are thick and covered with coverage, a whitish cloth used to absorb water. They should never completely dry out and wrinkle. But for all this, they must dry out partially between each watering so they don’t rot.
This velamen is white and smooth when almost dry, and green when full of water.
Therefore it is necessary to water it Phalaenopsis each time the velamen turns white again in the middle of the pine bark substrate (very airy). To help us, the horticulturists therefore decided to raise the Phalaenopsis in a clear plastic jar.
the Phalaenopsis does not have a dry rest period. Its roots should remain permanently swollen. The rhythm of watering depends on the atmosphere around the orchid. That is why it is better to check the condition of the roots than to follow a precise rhythm of watering. However, as an indication:
- in the summerthe phalaenopsis needs watering about once a week, but during the driest periods, the velamen starts again in 3 or 4 days.
- in the wintercooler temperatures and high humidity levels reduce this watering schedule to about one watering every 3 weeks.
What water quality for the water phalaenopsis ?
Water quality is very important for phalaenopsis. Only supports fresh water. By soft water, we mean water with little mineral content, low in calcium, magnesium, sodium…
- tap water : except in Finistère and the Massif Central, tap water is not suitable for watering phalaenopsis, because it is too calcareous (not to mention the presence of other chemical elements such as chlorine, etc.)
- softened tap water using a water softener will inevitably kill your orchid slowly: the limestone is exchanged with another mineral.
That is why it is preferable to collect a few liters of rainwater in anticipation of these waterings. However, it can also be used:
- i amosmotic water (rayon aquarophile)
- waste water from the dryer
- naturally sweet bottled spring water like Volvic.
how water the phalaeonopsis ?
To water the phalaenopsis, it is not enough to run water through the substrate. Very airy, this holds almost nothing, so it is quite necessary watering with drench. The pot is soaked for 30 minutes to 1 hour in rainwater, then drain carefully before returning to its cache-pot. The pine bark therefore has time to drink, and the velamen is completely charged with water.
How to managefertilizer ouch phalaenopsis ?
The orchid’s pine bark substrate is not nutritious enough to support future growth and new blooms. the Phalaenopsis so need fertilizer to bloom again. This liquid fertilizer, suitable for orchids, should be brought regularly, but in low doses: the fertilizer is given to the phalaenopsis during 1 out of 2 waterings, but diluted by half compared to the dose prescribed on the label.
Between 2 inputs of fertilizer, a get wet Ordinary (without fertilizer) makes it possible to leach the excess, because as in limestone, the excess of fertilizer precipitates in the form of whitish salty deposits on the crust and yellowish (very harmful) on the roots.
A well-watered and well-fed Phalaenopsis will be able to bloom for 6-8 months a year.
*The article was translated based on the content of Au Jardin, conseils en jardinage from www.aujardin.info. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report under the article. We try to process as quickly as possible to protect copyright. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
* ? ? We always respect the copyright of the author’s content and always include the original link of the source article. If the author disagrees, leave the report under the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thank you very much! Best regards!