This is how the voice changes with age
By talking to someone on the phone, we can tell roughly how old they are. So our voice changes with age, but certain changes can even indicate an abnormality or disorder in the formation of the voice. The warning signs were given by dr. It was summarized by Valéria Holpert, otorhinolaryngologist, phoniatrist, doctor of the Center of Otorhinolaryngology.
Sound production is a complex process
When the inhaled air leaves the lungs through the trachea and meets the vocal cords at the head of the larynx, the primary larynx sound produced here is transformed into the sound perceived by our ears in the vocal tube. appendix, which functions as a resonator. The elements of the appendix tube, lips, tongue, pharynx and nasal cavity play the role of the resonator chain, and the nervous system coordinates the necessary muscle operation for sound production.
Dr. Valéria Holpert said that to a certain extent the tone of voice we speak is determined anatomically. The pitch is determined, for example, by the number of vibrations, which depends on the length and tension of the vocal cords, as well as the speed of the air coming out of the lungs. In addition to our body shape, the tone of our voice is also influenced by individual differences in the sound-producing organs, hormonal and psychological factors.
Time also leaves its mark on the organs involved in sound production
Over the years, certain age-related changes occur in our body. Our bones and muscles will not be the same as in our younger years. Lung capacity, the size and function of the larynx and vocal cords, the size and flexibility of the appendicular tube, the size and mobility of the tongue also change, and with it our voice. In addition, of course, our lifestyle also leaves a mark on our voice, just think of the characteristic deepening of the voice caused by smoking, for example.
Two important stations
The first significant change occurs around puberty. During the mutation, the size of the larynx and the length of the vocal cords change. This process takes place in both boys and girls, although it is much more spectacular in the case of the former. The other significant milestone comes around the age of sixty. The vocal cords become more inflexible, the muscles of the larynx deteriorate, and due to the lack of functioning of the muscles that produce the voice and sex hormones, the voice becomes weaker and more husky.
Incorrect voice production – in this case it is recommended to consult a doctor
- It is not natural, nor is it an age-related process, if we experience long-term hoarseness, or if our voice becomes too high or too low for no apparent reason, that is, the pitch changes.
- A disorder in voice production can also be indicated if our voice becomes hoarse while we speak, it regularly becomes tired, hoarse and weak in the afternoon and evening.
- If you feel sore throat while talking, you may even feel a lump.
- It is also recommended to consult a doctor with children if persistent hoarseness occurs. In the background, there may also be an incorrect voice production technique, which causes the child’s voice to become more and more hoarse and go away. In the community, he constantly tries to shout at his friends, thus regularly straining and overextending his vocal cords.
- Another critical point is the mutation period. It may happen that this process does not happen in time, in which case we are talking about a long-term mutation. This can give sensitive teenagers some very uncomfortable moments. Phoniatric examination during which the diagnosis can be established and the necessary treatment can be started.
Inflammation of the vocal cord – What can cause the recurring complaint?
*The article was translated based on the content of Napidoktor from napidoktor.hu. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report under the article. We try to process as quickly as possible to protect copyright. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
* ? ? We always respect the copyright of the author’s content and always include the original link to the source article. If the author disagrees, leave the report under the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thank you very much! Best regards!