Here is the only trick to limit the hangover
New Year’s Eve is approaching, and with it probably the hangover, the poison of the morning after a drunken night. Here’s what to do before, during and after to avoid being (too) muddy to start the year.
If you planned to party on New Year’s Eve, you may wake up on January 1st with a severe headache, unpleasant nausea, or increased sensitivity to light. Then you remember that the night before you drank the equivalent of the Seine in champagne and you quickly conclude that… you’re just hungover.
To avoid living in a disaster scenario, the first principle, on New Year’s Eve, is… to drink in moderation, of course. But also to take a bottle of water with you to also drink water, during the evening. This allows you to water in the evening without suffering too much the next day.
However, if this basic principle seems difficult to apply and you think you are drinking more than you should, know that there are also other preventive tips to avoid getting up too hard on New Year’s Day. Be careful though, remember that alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health and if you have to drive, limit yourself to one drink or have someone drive you home.
What to do BEFORE
5 tips to avoid a hangover
- Remember to stay hydrated drink at least a liter of water. She will be your main ally of the evening! Better, if you can decorate your consumption with the alcohol of fruit juice, you will optimize your chances of success. Indeed, fruit contains fructose, a natural sugar that facilitates the transformation and therefore the elimination of alcohol.
- With the same idea, he consumes honey. The latter belongs to the food that has the most fructose. The simple fact of swallowing a teaspoon or two of honey at the end of a meal will soothe your upset stomach and restore your energy.
- On the gastric level, some plant extracts, such as artichoke or boldo (a leaf from a Chilean bush) help you avoid painful heartburn.
- Finally, before going to sleep, do not hesitate to take 1 g of paracetamol. If you take your pill when you wake up, it will be less effective.
- As far as the historical remedies are concerned, such as a spoonful of olive oil, a large glass of squeezed lemon, milk or water boiled with garlic, bay leaves, sage, egg yolk and even bread, no positive effect has yet been scientifically proven.
What to do AFTER
With all these precautions, you should not be prone to a hangover. However, you will never be completely safe! So it’s time to talk about hangover remedies.
- Drink the water. Lots of water! Know this: although alcohol is a liquid, it will dehydrate you. Particularly diuretic, so it can push your body to eliminate several liters of water in a few hours (and a few glasses). Desperate, your body will therefore attract it wherever it can find it, and in particular your mind. Look no further for the origin of your headache, even if your liver, by transforming alcohol into a toxic compound (acetaldehyde), does not help matters.
- Beware of effervescent aspirin! This medicine may worsen your gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) and even increase gastroesophageal bleeding. So nothing good.
- against indigestion, Trust the traditional and highly effective betaine citrate. Optimizes gastrointestinal motility and digestive secretion, often absent after rich meals. Last advice, organize yourself a day later with a light meal like broth and a good night’s rest.
Also read: 12 tips to avoid a liver attack
Hangover: what is it?
Headache, dry mouth, nausea, urge to vomit are the unpleasant consequences of an excess of alcohol. But from what action do they result?
The main reason is called acetaldehyde. This substance, thirty times more toxic than alcohol, comes from the transformation of alcohol in our metabolism. During a complex process, the alcohol actually becomes acetaldehyde, then acetate to complete its elimination into carbon dioxide along with water.
The other explanation for a hangover comes from methanol, present in alcohol. This element makes it possible to classify alcohols according to their ability to give more or less the “hangover”.
Brandy, red wine, rum, white wine, gin and vodka can therefore be ranked in descending order of methanol content. “Boiled” with vodka should therefore be less painful than one with brandy.
Remember that methanol can be used as fuel by some racing cars! Imagine the amount of work your liver and kidneys have to do to eliminate these substances.
How to get rid of alcohol?
The liver, through various enzymes, plays a key role in the detoxification of alcohol (the action that suppresses the harmful effects): know that it is it takes about 1h30 to get rid of the equivalent of a drink. In turn, the kidneys are responsible for eliminating this toxic substance using mainly water. This is why, when you drink more than necessary, you will be subject to an increase in your diuresis (the volume of urine) and to a rather strong dehydration, hence thirst and headache. Nausea and vomiting, on the other hand, comes from alcoholic gastritis, which is a direct toxic effect of alcohol on the stomach.
Finally, know that your propensity to tolerate alcohol depends on your usual consumption, your weight and… your gender as women are 2 to 3 times more sensitive from men to the effects of alcohol.
Infographic: the effects of alcohol on the body
Covid-19 and New Years: what to remember
*The article was translated based on the content of Topsante.com from www.topsante.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report under the article. We try to process as quickly as possible to protect copyright. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
* ? ? We always respect the copyright of the author’s content and always include the original link of the source article. If the author disagrees, leave the report under the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thank you very much! Best regards!