September 19 is a very special day in the history of cricket. On this day 16 years ago, Indian batsman Yuvraj Singh had created history on the ground of Durban. Yuvraj had hit six sixes in an over during the match against England in the T20 World Cup 2007. Yuvraj became the first batsman to hit six sixes in an over in T20 International.
Even though 16 years have passed since that memorable incident, Indian fans can never forget this moment. Let us know about those batsmen who have hit six consecutive sixes in recognized 20 overs, 50 overs or first class cricket…
Six sixes in six balls-
1.Gary Sobers (First Class Cricket): Sir Gary Sobers had achieved this feat for the first time 55 years ago. An amazing feat was added to the name of Sir Gary Sobers on 31 August 1968. While playing for Nottinghamshire in the English county, he hit 6 sixes on all 6 balls of the over of Malcolm Nash of Glamorgan.
2. Ravi Shastri (First Class Cricket): After 17 years, on 10 August 1985, Ravi Shastri equaled Sir Gary. When he hit sixes on all the balls of Tilak Raj’s over in the Ranji match against Baroda.
3. Herschelle Gibbs (ODI International): South African batsman Herschelle Gibbs became the first batsman to hit 6 sixes in an over in One Day International. He did this feat on March 16 in the 2007 ODI World Cup match. Then in St. Kitts, he sent all the six balls of the over of Dan van Bunge of Netherlands out of the ground.
4. Yuvraj Singh (T-20 International): Yuvraj Singh, one of the dangerous batsmen in the cricket world, became the fourth batsman to do so. While he became the second batsman in international cricket. On 19 September 2007, in the T-20 World Cup match against England, Yuvraj targeted Stuart Broad. Just before the match, Andrew Flintoff had made obscene gestures towards Yuvraj, to which he responded by hitting six sixes.
5. Jordan Clarke (2nd XI match): Lancashire all-rounder Jordan Clarke became the fifth professional cricketer to achieve this feat. On 24 April 2013, he became the victim of Gurman Randhawa’s balls in the Second XI match against Yorkshire.
6. Alex Hales (NatWest T20 Blast): While playing for Nottinghamshire, Alex Hales hit six consecutive sixes in a different style on 15 May 2015. In the NatWest T-20 Blast tournament, after hitting a six on the fourth ball of Boyd Rankin’s 11th over, Hales also hit sixes on the last two balls. When he got strike again on the second ball of the next over, he again hit 3 sixes in a row. Along with this, it took him two overs to hit six consecutive sixes.
7. Ross Whitley (NatWest T20 Blast): Ross Whitley hit 6 sixes in consecutive balls of the over in the NatWest T-20 Blast tournament just a few days ago (July 2017). He did this while playing for Warwickshire.
8. Misbah Ul Haq (Hong Kong T20 Blitz): Misbah Ul Haq hit sixes on six consecutive balls in the T-20 League held in Hong Kong in 2017. But his sixes came in the 19th and 20th overs of the innings.
9. Kieron Pollard (T20 Big Bash warm-up match): Caribbean batsman Kieron Pollard also hit six sixes in a row while playing for Adelaide Striker in 2014. But that was a warm-up match of the Big Bash League.
10. Ravindra Jadeja (Inter District T20 Tournament): Ravindra Jadeja had achieved the feat of hitting 6 consecutive sixes in 1 over in the Inter-District T-20 tournament of Saurashtra Cricket Association in 2017. Jadeja performed this miracle in the over of off-spin bowler Neelam Vamja.
11. Hazratullah Zazai (T20): Hazratullah Zazai of Afghanistan had accomplished this feat in 2018. While playing for Kabul Jawanaan in Afghanistan Premier League (APL) T-20, he hit 6 sixes in one over of Balkh legend bowler Abdullah Mazari.
12. Ollie Davis (Under 19): Kangaroo batsman Ollie Davis hit six sixes in the over during his record-breaking double century in the Under-19 Men’s National Championship organized by Cricket Australia on the Adelaide grounds in 2018.
13. Leo Carter (T20): New Zealand’s domestic cricket team Canterbury batsman Leo Carter hit six sixes in an over in 2020. Carter hit six sixes in the over of Northern Districts spinner Anton Devcic in the T20 Super Smash tournament at the Hagley Oval ground in Christchurch.
14. Kieron Pollard (T20 International): Caribbean swashbuckler Kieron Pollard achieved the feat of hitting 6 sixes in an over in the T20 International against Sri Lanka in Antigua (March 2021). Pollard became only the second batsman after Yuvraj Singh in the history of T20 International to achieve this feat.
15. Thisara Perera (List-A Cricket): Sri Lankan all-rounder Perera, playing for Army Sports CC in the year 2021, hit six sixes against Bloomfield Cricket and Athletic Club. Perera reached the half-century mark in just 13 balls in that match, which was the second fastest half-century in List-A cricket. Perera is the first Sri Lankan player to hit six sixes in an over in professional cricket.
16. Jaskaran Malhotra (ODI International): Indian-origin American cricketer Jaskaran Malhotra had hit six sixes in an over in the One Day International match against Papua New Guinea in September 2021. In that match, Jaskaran had achieved this feat on the balls of medium pacer Gaudi Toka in the 50th over of the innings.
17. Ruturaj Gaikwad (List-A Cricket): Last year In the Vijay Hazare Trophy, Rituraj Gaikwad of Maharashtra had hit seven sixes in one over of Shiva Singh against UP. There was also a no-ball in that over, which was sent by Rituraj for six runs. Rituraj became the first batsman to hit seven sixes in an over.