Cruise lines are appealing the US court’s high arbitration award to the owner of the Havana dock

0 16

(Reuters) – Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean Cruises said on Tuesday they would appeal a US court ruling ordering them and two other cruise lines to each pay $110 million in damages for using a port that -the Cuban government confiscated in 1960.

US District Judge Beth Bloom in Miami last week decided to award the plaintiff, Havana Docks Corp registered in Delaware, a total of $440 million; registered to two US citizens who claim to be descendants of the original owners of the Havana Cruise Port Terminal.

This happens after Bloom decided in March that the use of the port restricts trade in the confiscated property of Havana Docks Corp. represents The ruling was an important step for Cubans seeking compensation for the confiscation of Cold War-era assets.

“The plaintiff is awarded $109,671,180.90 in damages,” says the judgment against Carnival, while the judgments against Norway, Royal Caribbean and MSC – the last of which was issued on Tuesday – -plaintiff is awarded $109,848 $.747.87 awarded by each vessel.

Royal Caribbean said in a comment to Reuters that it “does not agree with the verdict and will appeal.” The Carnival also said that it disagreed “strongly” and would appeal and take part in “legal journeys.”

Norwegian Cruise Line declined comment and MSC Cruises did not respond to a request for comment.

Havana Docks sued the cruise lines under the Helms-Burton Act, which allows US citizens to sue for use of property seized in Cuba after 1959.

“This is a very important decision by Judge Bloom. The commercial exploitation of confiscated property in Cuba in violation of US law has detailed, well-known and clearly publicized legal ramifications,” said Roberto Martinez, attorney for Havana Docks.

“The undisputed facts show that the cruise lines made more than $1.2 billion in revenue from their cruises using the impound terminal – and they paid nothing to Havana Docks Corp or the people of Cuba, ” he added.

The verdicts could spark more lawsuits from Cuban exiles, who are making claims worth an estimated $2 billion over the confiscation of assets under late Cuban leader Fidel Castro.

(Reporting by Isabel Woodford and Anthony Esposito; Editing by David Gregorio)

Source

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.